As many states in India have increased fines for violating traffic rules to counter the rise in number of road accidents, the Government of Kerala decided to take the opposite approach and reduced fines for various road related offences.
The reason behind slashing of traffic fines and penalties was to allow drivers relax while driving their vehicles which would in turn help them become more aware of driving on road and follow the rule to the dot.
The traffic fines and the penalties for violation of the rules have been updated in Kerala. We will list down the update in penalties and fines applicable below.
List of updated fines for violation of traffic rules in Kerala
|Violation||New Penalties in effect from 24th October 2019||Old Penalties in effect from 1st Sept 2019|
|Driving without helmet||Rs.500||Rs.1,000|
|Driving or riding while talking on phone||Rs.2,000||Rs.10,000|
|Speeding Light Motor Vehicle||Rs.1,500||Rs.5,000|
|Speeding and racing||Rs.5,000||Rs.5,000|
|Speeding Medium Heavy Vehicle||Rs.3,000||Rs.5,000|
Safety rules to follow for two-wheelers
- Wear helmets at all times while riding your two-wheeler. The pillion must also wear their helmet.
- Do not overload your vehicle.
- Use indicators as it can help other drivers know the direction your vehicle will take making it safer for everyone. Using indicators reduces the chance of injuries and accidents.
- Avoid overtaking cars as it may result in serious injuries.
Safety rules to follow for four-wheelers
- Make sure you follow the traffic signals. Jumping traffic signals may result in serious accidents and you will also be penalised heavily for the same.
- Do not ever use your mobile phone while driving. Using your phone will driving may cause distraction which may lead to accidents.
- Make sure you carry all your vehicle-related documents with you including your driving licence, insurance policy documents, and your vehicle registration documents. The documents carried by you provides important information to the police in case of accidents.
- Wear your seat belts at all times while driving. The person sitting with you on the front seat must also wear their seat belts at all times.
- Drive your vehicle within the applicable speed limit. This not only keeps you safe but also other drivers and pedestrians as well.