According to the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988, it is compulsory for every vehicle to be registered in India. Completing the registration process will help the transport department keep track of all the vehicles. In order to register your vehicle in Kerala, you will need to visit the nearest Regional Transport Office (RTO) office. Registering your vehicle on time will also ensure that no penalties are levied.
Types of Vehicle Registration in Kerala
The two different types of vehicle registration are mentioned below:
- Temporary Registration: You can register your vehicle on a temporary basis for a maximum period of one month. However, temporary registration can be done only if you move to another state. Post the one-month duration, the permanent registration process must be completed.
- Permanent Registration: In case you buy a new vehicle or the vehicle is transferred, the permanent registration process must be completed by visiting the nearest RTO.
Vehicle Registration Process
The step-by-step procedure to register the vehicle at an RTO in Kerala is mentioned below:
- Visit the nearest RTO office.
- You will need to submit Form 20, Form 21, Form 22, and Form 22A. You can download the relevant application forms online as well. The relevant documents must be submitted as well.
- The vehicle inspection procedure will be completed next. In case the inspection procedure has been done, the relevant document must be provided as well.
- Once the verification process has been completed, the registration number will be provided by the RTO. The details will be sent on the registered email ID and mobile number as well.
- The smart card will be sent to your registered address.
The list of documents that must be submitted when you visit the RTO are mentioned below:
- Form A
- Form 60
- Temporary RC, if available
- Proof of address
- Passport-size photographs
- Pollution Under Control (PUC) Certificate
- Insurance documents
- Form 22
- Form 21
- Form 20
- Application fee
- Physical inspection
- Customs clearance certificate (imported vehicle)
- Aadhaar card
Frequently Asked Questions
How many RTOs are present in Kerala?
Currently, 18 RTOs are present in Kerala.
How long does it take to complete the registration process?
It may take up to 5 working days to complete the registration process.
How long is the registration certificate valid for?
The registration certificate is valid for 15 years.
Who is eligible to complete the registration process?
The owner of the vehicle can complete the registration process.
Is it possible to get a copy of the temporary registration certificate?
Yes, you can take a print-out of the temporary registration certificate. The temporary registration certificate will be sent to the registered email ID.