What is BHIM app?
The Bharat Interface for Money (BHIM) app is part of the Digital India initiative. It is a mobile payment app that provides fast, reliable, and secure transactions to customers and merchants throughout India. The BHIM app is optimized to facilitate interoperability among banks and also with other Unified Payment Interface (UPI) applications. The app is developed by the National Payment Corporation of India (NPCI).
To use the BHIM app, you need a smartphone, internet connectivity, and an Indian bank account that supports UPI payments. Your mobile number must be registered with the bank to enable the UPI-based payment services. There are many banks who have decided to participate in this initiative so as to make it easier for a user to take advantage of the BHIM app.
How To Download The App?
The BHIM app is available for both the Android-based and the iOS mobile handset. Follow the steps mentioned below to get started:
- Download the app on your phone.
- Install and open the app
- The app will verify your mobile number to see if it’s registered with a bank
- After the verification, you will have to set a 4-digit passcode.
- From the list of banks, choose the bank where you have an account.
- You will need to enter the card details for authentication.
How To Use BHIM App ?
The BHIM (Bharat Interface for Money) app is an initiative by the Government of India to facilitate cashless payments. The app facilitates money transfers between two bank accounts and permits the user to make direct payments to merchants using the service. An added advantage of the app is payments can be made both offline as well as online, eliminating the hassle of repeatedly entering confidential information when using a credit/debit card or net banking.
Individuals who wish to use the app can follow the steps listed below:
- Download the BHIM app and select the language of your choice.
- Verify your mobile number through SMS, after which the app will verify your details.
- Once the verification process is complete, you will be presented with a home screen that lists various options such as ‘Bank Account’, ‘Transactions’ and ‘Profile’.
- You will be asked to set a 4 digit password, after which you will be directed to select your bank.
- Choose from the list of banks provided on the app and confirm your choice.
- On doing so, the app will automatically link your account details based on your phone number.
- You can add multiple bank accounts to the app, but you will have to select one primary account for transaction purposes.
- On selection of the primary account, you can choose to send, request or scan/pay.
How To Send Money Through BHIM?
Individuals who wish to send money to other individuals/merchants can do so by following the steps listed below:
- Click on the ‘Send’ option on the home screen of the app.
- Type in the phone number of the individual to whom you wish to transfer money to.
- Please note that the recipient’s phone number should be verified on the app for transactions to be possible.
- Type in the amount you wish to transfer and a 4 or 6 digit MPIN to verify a transaction.
- Click on the ‘PAY’ tab to authorize the transfer.
- You will receive an acknowledgement once the transfer has taken place successfully.
How to Request Money ?
Individuals who wish to receive money from another individual can follow the steps outlined below:
- Click on the ‘Request’ tab on the app’s home screen.
- Type in the number of the individual you wish to receive money from.
- Enter the amount you wish to receive.
- The individual will receive a notification regarding your request and can choose to authorise the fund transfer to you.
How to Transfer Money Through ‘Scan and Pay’ ?
Individuals can also choose to make transfers through the ‘Scan & Pay’ option in the BHIM app. This process uses a QR code, which is to be scanned to authorise the transaction.
Individuals who wish to transfer/receive money through this method can use the steps mentioned below:
- Click on the ‘Profile’ tab on the home screen.
- Select the ‘QR code’ which is assigned to your phone/the phone of the recipient.
- Click on the ‘Scan & Pay’ option.
- Scan the QR code and enter the amount to be transferred.
- You will receive an acknowledgement once the payment goes through.
The BHIM app can be used to transfer money to any individual or merchant who has the app installed, and with over 30 banks accessible through the app, it is fast becoming the preferred means of safe and hassle-free money transfers.
Features of BHIM app
The BHIM app provides a platform for individuals and merchants to perform transactions instantly. By using the BHIM app, you can send and receive money from a mobile number also referred to as a payment address.
How Does It Work?
The BHIM app offers an advanced method of sending and receiving money. You can follow the listed steps to send and request money. The app also provides an option to scan a QR code to make payments.
- Send money through the app
- Open the app
- Choose 'Send Money' option
- Enter either the mobile number, payment address or the Aadhaar number of the receiver
- Indicate the amount you want to send
- The default bank account will be pre-selected
- Provide your UPI PIN to initiate the transaction
- You can also use a QR code reader to scan and pay
- Request/receive money through the app
- Open the app
- Choose 'Request Money' option
- Enter either the mobile number, payment address or the Aadhaar number of the sender
- Indicate the amount that you need to receive
- Click submit
- Scan and pay - This method allows merchants and shopkeepers to accept money by scanning your QR code. You can generate a QR code easily that can be produced while making payments. The QR code will be scanned and authenticated by using a fingerprint scanner.
Benefits Of BHIM App
- Transactions are simple, fast, and secure
- No additional charges
- The app is free for download
- Payments can be made to non-UPI banks as well
- The app works 24/7
The BHIM app is all set to replace cash, debit and credit cards for transactions. By using the app, you won't require remembering bank details or cash or cards. Just by using your mobile and authentication by a fingerprint scan, you will be able to accept and make quick payments. The app utilizes the IMPS methods to facilitate a quick and easy payment system. The current demonetization of higher value notes has stalled the amount and frequency of cash transactions. This has increased the usage of online transactions, digital wallets, and card payments. With the BHIM app, the government is aiming at making India a cashless economy.